The small mountain community of Kittredge is located near the towns of Evergreen and Morrison in Bear Creek Canyon. It offers access to several Denver Mountain Parks and Jefferson County Open Space parks perfect for picnics, hiking, mountain biking, ice skating, and snowshoeing. The Kittredge Post Office has the ZIP Code of 80457 and has been in operation since 1920.
The Kittredge Civic Association, a non-profit community organization, was founded in 1948. Walt Washausen (he and his wife Mae lived on Sheldon Ave.) was instrumental in its creation. Walt later started the Kittredge Sanitation and Water District. The original purpose of the Civic Association was to raise funds for the school building.
Since its founding and fundraising for a school building, KCA has been instrumental in bringing many positive changes to the community. Some of these include paving the roads (1984) and creating the Kittredge Community Park and Playground (1988) and in 2015/16, making vast improvements to the park using a community build model. KCA has sponsored dialogs with various organizations such as the Jefferson County Planning and Zoning Department, Habitat for Humanity, and the Evergreen Metro District.
In 1953 the KCA was reorganized and began hosting many community events such as square dances every two weeks, holiday parties, box socials, bingo games and spaghetti dinners. They started the traditions of an Egg Hunt in the spring, Kittredge Kapers in the fall (to become Canyonfest in either 1984 or ‘87) and a Community Hayride in December. The KCA originally lit a tree above the highway at Christmas time. The Association was disbanded for some time in the 1960’s – 70’s. However, today the KCA continues most of those traditions in addition to holding a chili pot-luck and cook off in March, coordinating an Annual Neighborhood Clean Up and Yard Sale in June and hosting an Ice Cream Social in late July/early August. KCA’s goal is to help facilitate communication among people who live and work in the community, and sponsors these events throughout the year to encourage community spirit.
KCA holds open meetings the second Monday of every month at 7:00 pm. These meetings are not limited to the KCA board - all Kittredge residents and business owners/employees are encouraged to come. The Association meets at the KCA Community Building, which is owned and maintained by the KCA.
In 1958 KCA purchased the Community Building located at the west side of town at 26499 Mowbray Court. It is available to all members of the community for meetings, classes, parties, etc., for a nominal fee. It has a large main room with a fireplace, kitchen and mountain views through large picture windows. There are restrooms, storage areas and ample parking on the north side of the building. (The building was damaged by a fire in 1974 and was renovated in 1984). The Kittredge Sanitation and Water District hold their monthly meetings in the building.
Elevation 6,896 feet
Approx. 2 miles square
112 in 1940
1,304 at the 2010 census
115 mailboxes in 1937
420 in mailboxes 1978